If your dad is anything like mine, he probably likes to tinker and work on things more than he likes to organize his ties and color coordinate his socks. If that's the case, you probably should avoid buying him another tie or another pack of socks this Fathers Day. We all love Fathers Day here at Eastwood and I've decided to put together the first of a few lists of tool gifts your dad can actually use, won't break the bank, and will last a lifetime.
1. Ratcheting Wrenches- Your dad's time is of the essence and whether he is trying to fix the lawn mower or maintain his hot rod, he can always use a tool that will save him time. The ratcheting wrenches take the concept of a basic open and boxed end wrench and add the ratcheting function. With the new Gearwrench "Universal Tooth" design you can get into hard to reach spots and quickly tighten or loosen just about any nut or bolt. Cover all your bases and get him both an SAE and a Metric ratcheting wrench set from Gearwrench. Need a larger set that has similar features but more wrenches? Check out the Channellock ratcheting wrench sets in SAE and Metric. Either way you can't lose by adding a set of fancy ratcheting wrenches to his toolbox!
2. Tool Racks- Dad may get so busy his tools in the garage may not stay as organized as he'd like. A quick and easy way to fix this is to get him the supplies to organize his tools. One of our organizational favorites is the Z-Rack Screwdriver and wrench racks. These guys will hold 14 of your dad's favorite wrenches or screwdrivers for quick access when working in the garage or around the house. It will save a lot of time digging through the toolbox drawers and looking around the workbench. A tip for getting extra points is to install a set of these for your dad in his shop ahead of time so he can instantly reap the benefits of these racks (they even come with mounting screws)!
3. Dead Blow Hammers and Rubber Mallets- Most every dad has gotten a claw hammer for Fathers Day at least once. Try a twist on that common gift and get him a couple Dead Blow Hammers. These come in handy when you don't want to smash, bend, or break things like you would with a claw hammer or a BFH. These can be used to hammer things without damaging the surface or scratching the finish. Not to mention they hurt a lot less if dad hits his finger or drops it on his toe (we're always looking out for Dad!).
4. Multipurpose Hand Saw- Not that we've covered wrenching. hammering, and organizing, what's one other thing your dad can be found doing in the garage? Cutting! Everyone needs a good handsaw and the new Multipurpose Hand Saw covers all the bases with its spring loaded handle. Now you can use it as a keyhole, jaw, and hacksaw. We've tested it to cut just about everything including steel, aluminum, copper, wood, plastic, plasterboard, solid foam and much more. This is definitely one of the best "bang for your buck" gifts for this Fathers Day!
5. Rolling Tool Cart- Want to be a star child this year? Get him a rolling tool cart! This is going to allow him to throw some tools on the cart and roll it out to the driveway to work on the car, lawn mower, etc and he can throw away the bucket he carried his tools in before. The Gearwrench 2 Drawer Rolling Cart has all the features of a high dollar cart (similar from other companies are 3-5 times the price!), but at an extremely affordable price. Yep that's right, double ball bearing drawer slides, powder coated surface, and a trigger lock drawer system that keeps the drawers closed tight.
We hope these gifts spur some ideas for some quality gifts your dad can actually be excited to use. Just be warned, following our suggestions may raise the bar for all gifts in the future and you will have to figure out how to outdo yourself next year! Either way we'll be here and have the tools and supplies to help you and your dad Do the Job Right.