Project Resolution Phase 3 Teardown

    Since our last post we've been busy working on disassembling the car down to just a rolling shell. This meant we had to removed the entire drivetrain and start deciding if we were going to keep the original or get a replacement engine. The engine and transmission came out pretty easy when using the Folding Engine Hoist. We then separated the engine and transmission and put the engine on a Ford Small Block Rolling Engine Stand so we could easily move it around the shop.

    Meanwhile, some of the other members of the team worked on sanding the fenders and doors down to bare metal using the Eastwood Stripping Discs and then sprayed them with Eastwood Fast Etch to keep them from flash rusting while they wait their turn for bodywork and shiny paint.

    After looking over the engine we decided that this engine had been neglected for quite sometime and even the original waterpump was still on the engine! When Tim went to remove the bolts out of the waterpump just about every single one broke off. This is going to cause a lot more work as we now have to extract each broken bolt. This task will include removing the harmonic balancer on the crank and the timing chain cover to get to the bolts that broke. Let's hope this doesn't require some serious surgery!

    Once we were tired of fighting with broken bolts we moved on to removing the front radiator support on the car. This is NOT an easy job even on the best day. First of all you have to drill out numerous spot welds and the number of spot welds on each side of the radiator support are not equal. It seems like the spot welder in the factory just did however many felt right that day.. or two guys were spot welding on each side and one did way more than the other. The other problem we had was that the car has been hit in the front and some of the metal was bent and damaged. We took turns drilling spot welds with the Eastwood Spot Weld Cutters and slowly we were able to peel the old radiator support off of the front of the car. We'll have to do some hammer and dolly work to the remaining parts on the front end, but so far the CJ Pony replacement radiator panel seems like it will fit pretty well.

    Next up we will have to remove the damaged inner fender skirt panel and mock it all up to make sure the front sheet metal will sit correctly when we're done. Soon we'll be firing up the MIG 175 and the TIG 200 to weld these panels in place. Stay tuned, we're just getting warmed up!

    Related Eastwood Products:

    5 thoughts on “Project Resolution Phase 3 Teardown”

    • Robert H

      Did same R&R I used LTR solid inner fender panels with core support looks great. I spot welded mine back in for the most part. Measure X10 weld once.....LOL

      Reply
    • Ivan Ocejo

      Been following the tear down. Looks like the resto work is about to begin, car must be completely stripped by now. Following along....

      Reply
    • 79Mustangcobra

      Thanks for posting these!

      Reply
    • Johnny 5.0

      Can't wait to start the resto on my 89 notch. Thanks for posting this.

      Reply
    • DK

      After the first water pump bolt broke, should have just used heat for the rest of them. Your going to be ripping off the old pump anyways so who cars if you cook the gasket. May as well pull off the front cover and replace the gasket, front seal, and timing chain anyways as it's super easy with motor pulled.

      Reply

    5 Item(s)

    Leave a Comment