Tag Archives: Penn Manor

  • Penn Manor Bio Diesel Project Hits The Press!

    Recently I was forwarded this article written by the newspaper local to the school. Looks like their project caught the attention of a newspaper writer! Check out the full story at the link below. Great job guys!

    -Matt/EW

    http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/265212

      Click Here To Read Full Post...
  • The engine is out!

    Looks like our crew over at Penn Manor got a bit of headway done on their VW truck project. Always a great idea to clean and paint parts before you put them back in the engine bay! I'll leave the details to one of the students to explain!

    Hey Matt,
    It has been a while since we last gave you an update, so we have a lot to tell you about.  We decided to pull the engine out to thoroughly clean it and to open up some area around the shock tower.  We power washed the engine after plugging any open holes, then de-greased and painted the block bright green as visible in the pictures. we are currently reassembling the engine outside the car and plan to drop the entire thing back in upon finishing rust repair.  We realized that the damage to the shock tower is rather bad and may involve replacing the majority of the wheel well, but the other rusted locations are not bad.  We would like to do as much to the body in preparation for paint, but we do not have the facilities to paint it, so we are looking for a painter. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share.  I have attached several pictures for the blog. The first is the removal of the engine, the second is the cleaning and the third is the painted engine.

    -Tyler

    Sounds like they have a bit of rust repair to tackle on this truck. Im sure our blaster, welder, and rust coatings will come in handy!

      Click Here To Read Full Post...
  • Digging deeper into the engine bay

    Today I received another update from our friends over at Penn Manor. Seems as though they are making some progress in getting the mechanical side of things taken apart for repair. Below Penn Manor student Tyler gives us a update.

    Today's update on our progress, we have cleaned the cylinder head and intake manifold and are now cleaning the engine block. As soon as we have finished cleaning all the grime off the block, we will paint the head and valve covers then replace them. However, we would like to replace the timing belt and are working on that. I have included several more photos of what we have done thus far, if you have any suggestions or advice, feel free to share it.

      Click Here To Read Full Post...
  • May I Introduce?

    Today we are pleased to add a new section to our blog. These entries will document the storyline (as mostly written by the students) of the restoration and rebuild of a diesel VW Rabbit Pickup by students at Penn Manor High School in Lancaster, PA. We hope to help them along the with advice and some products to help their project move along. I think this will be a great chance to see them grow and hone their skills (not to mention maybe inspire some of our adult "beginners" to take on a project or two of your own!). Ill let one of the students Tyler kick it off with his background on the truck.

    My name is Tyler Newswanger, I am one of the students from Penn Manor working on the Volkswagen diesel pickup.  A basic history of our project began a few years ago when our chapter of TSA was working on creating bio-diesel.  We wanted to continue our experiments and create a larger scale operation to create bio-diesel and have a vehicle to run it through.  We wanted something that was unique and yet still usable. After searching several weeks, and several failed attempts, we were able to find our 1981 Volkswagen "Caddy."  It was in an old garage of which the owner was tearing down and had to remove the contents (see attached photos).  It was delivered to our school with needs of a replacement head gasket and repair several spots of rust damage (see attached photo of driver's side shock tower).  In the past week we have set up a schedule to work Mondays and Fridays after school and start removing the head.  We are currently in the process of cleaning parts that we have removed and finally removing the head.

      Click Here To Read Full Post...