Step One - Dirty Oily Valve Cover
• Degrease the cover with Simple Green® and an Eastwood Contour Gray Non-Woven Hand Pad (15178).
• Use a mini stainless steel brush to clean the inside corners and tight spots.
• Smooth pitted areas with Eastwood Contour 400 Grit Abrasive Paper (15169).
• Follow up with another Simple Green® and an Eastwood Contour Gray Non-Woven Hand Pad cleaning.
Step Two - Bake, Degrease and Clean
• Pre-bake the valve cover for 2 hours at 400ºF to burn off and outgas embedded contaminates in the cast
aluminum surface. Our valve cover had years of use, which is why the 2-hour pre-bake was required.
• Cool the cover, and spray completely with Eastwood PRE Painting Prep (10041Z) to dissolve and
wash away surface contaminates.
Step Three - Beautiful Near-Chrome Finish
• Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
• Hang the cover and apply Eastwood Extreme Chrome Bonded Powder (15999). We used large paper clips to create hooks to hang the valve cover.
• Allow part to reach full temperature and bake 20 minutes (we baked ours for 45 minutes to ensure a full cure).
• Remove the cover and immediately hot-flock with Eastwood Rally Blue Translucent Powder (16051). Read more about hot-flocking here: garage.eastwood.com.
• Place the cover back in the heated oven and bake for 20 minutes or longer.
• Remove the part and cool.
Step Four - Final Product After Coating With Rally Blue
• Use a fine, long file to remove the powder from the raised letters and rib details.
• Block sand raised surfaces with 320, then 800, grit abrasive paper.
• Clean off the dust and you’re done!
Powder Coating Guns
Choosing the right powder coat gun is the first step to success. The Original DIY Powder Coat Gun System is an excellent all-around solution, and the Dual-Voltage Powder Coat Gun has two different settings for more precise use. Powder coating starter kits include a gun and various accessories for those new to the technique. You can save by ordering a powder gun with a curing oven or compressor.
Vibrant Powder Colors
How do you want your vehicle to look? Whether you have spent hours upon hours dreaming about a color, or if you are open for ideas, Eastwood has nearly 100 different HotCoat powder colors to help bring your vision to life. These finishes can be applied within an hour and won't chip or fade over time. In addition to a variety of lights and darks, we make powders with flat, gloss, metallic, and textured effects.
Prep & Accessories
Make sure you have everything you need to get your surface ready and apply a dazzling finish. Use Eastwood powder coating strippers and cleaners to remove old paint, powder, wax and grease that can hinder your work. If there are blemishes or irregularities, high-temperature lab metal is the perfect solution for permanent repairs. Accessories such as masking tapes, storage bottles, powder coating polish and beginner's handbooks will get you up to speed.
A key part of doing the job right with powder coating: High heat is needed to properly cure your work. Use a powder coating curing oven for small projects or aim an infrared curing lamp at larger parts and housings. We carry light stands for holding and directing your lamps and non-contact thermometers to know when items are safe to handle.
The Eastwood Guarantee
All Eastwood HotCoat powder coating equipment has a 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee. We also have some of the longest warranties in the business on our award-winning parts and accessories.
For decades, we've helped do-it-yourselfers improve their restoration projects with more than 4,000 unique products. Let us help you do the job right.