- Eastwood Liquid Chrome Paint & Chrome Clear - How To Instructions & Buyers Guide
Applying Eastwood's Liquid Chrome
Paint & Clear Coat System
Eastwood Liquid Chrome Paint is a unique finish that produces a highly reflective finish very close to chrome. Please read and understand instructions fully before use! This unique coating is not applied like other paints. For best results this coating must be lightly misted on at 50% or less humidity at 70-95 degrees F.
- STEP 1: For the most dramatic Chrome effect, Eastwood Liquid Chrome Paint must be applied over a smooth glossy black surface that’s been top coated with (50251ZP) Eastwood European ClearCoat Urethane catalyzed with (50252ZP) Activator. It can also be applied over most other urethane clear coatings. (Not compatible over PPG or House Of Kolor coatings). Color sand and buff to a glass smooth finish, following the urethane clear manufacturer’s guidelines, and allow base to cure for 5-10 days at 70-95 degrees F before going to step 2.
- STEP 2: Wipe area to be coated with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner/solvent to remove any residual grease, wax or oil residue. Next, wash the gloss urethane with hot detergent and water solution. (A solution of Dawn® or Palmolive® dishwashing detergent and water works well.) Exercise care to avoid scratching surface. For best results surface must remain scratch free and as smooth as glass.
- STEP 3: Stir and pour Eastwood Liquid Chrome into spraygun or airbrush cup.NOTE: No additional thinning is necessary or desired. Apply coating with a HVLP detail gun with 0.8 – 1.0mm nozzle or airbrush with #5 tip. Adjust gun for very light material flow (about 1/2 to 3/4 turn open from the fully closed position). Adjust fan and pressure to produce an even very light mist fan about 2” wide. Apply 3 - 4 very light coats allowing 15 - 20 minutes between coats. Stop as soon as you achieve full opacity. Heavy coats or additional coats will produce a duller finish. Allow coating to dry for 1 5 minutes.
- NOTE: Full reflectivity will not be revealed until the end of step #4.
- STEP 4: GENTLY wipe the surface with a high quality absolutely clean dry micro fiber cloth or 100% cotton towel/shirt. Do Not Use Any Hand Pressure. Just let the weight of the cloth pick up any dry spray. This will slightly brighten the surface and improve reflectivity.
- STEP 5: Allow the coating to dry an additional 12-24 hours. Stir and apply 1 medium coat of Eastwood Liquid Chrome Clear (12452Z). NOTE: No additional thinning is necessary or desired. The application of this clear will decrease reflectivity by 5-15%, but it will prevent the coating from smudging and can be left as is or top coated with most 2 part urethane automotive coatings for an even more durable finish. (Not compatible with PPG or House of Kolor coatings).
- STEP 6: Buff any 2-part urethane clear to a smooth perfectly flat finish. (Refer to urethane clear color sanding and buffing instructions.)