The Buyer/Planner plays a key role in the supply chain throughout the entire product life-cycle. He/She makes buying/planning decisions that deliver quality to the customers and maximize the long-term value of the company. In addition to product acquisition, the Buyer/Planner works along-side the Engineering/Quality Manager, Product Managers and Marketing team on various projects and initiatives, including but not limited to forecasting, quality improvement, inventory management, new product launch, cost reduction, and back order reduction.
This role is ideally suited for a results-driven individual who has experience purchasing, inventory, planning and distribution functions, preferably for direct to consumer.
We are looking for someone with 2+ years purchasing experience. A bachelor degree in a related field is desirable. Experience working with forecasting software, systems or processes, is desirable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Buyer/Planner position is key to ensuring Eastwood has product available when demanded by the customer balanced with the business goals of the company.
He/she will be expected to execute, guide, and direct all activities associated with the following:
- Responsible for the product acquisition portion of the new product development process, including, negotiation, prototype & production sample acquisition, and communication.
- Maintain an uninterrupted supply and inventory of products to meet operating plan objectives (inventory turns, service levels, safety stock target levels and cost reduction goals).
- Make optimal buy decisions by taking into account sales history, promotions, seasonality, product life cycle, trends, inventory, EOQ, container capacity, and service level to ensure appropriate inventory levels.
- Issue, maintain and manage purchase orders for assigned products. Communicate with, and improve as needed, matters involving PO fulfillment, production, schedules, price, quality, and delivery. Conduct problem resolution as necessary.
- Negotiate Contracts – pricing, delivery, payment terms, MOQ –within budgetary limitation and schedule requirements.
- Work with Engineering/Quality Manager and Product Managers to refine specifications for items being purchased and communicate specifications with suppliers. Initiate and manage RFQ process for new products.
- Work with Engineering/Quality Manager to resolve quality issues with suppliers.
- Follow QC procedures and take effective actions to manage returns and defective products.
- Assume responsibility as the focal Eastwood contact person for assigned suppliers and coordinate communication to and from the suppliers in matters related to purchasing, products, quality, pricing, shipping and delivery. Maintain supplier library and supplier contact information.
- Work with marketing team and product managers to forecast selected items to meet customer demand and service level. Review forecasting with team and make adjustments on regular basis.
- Actively manage inventory by implementing various inventory reduction strategies to meet inventory turnover goal.
- Review inventory and demand status on weekly basis to push out or pull in open orders as demand requires. The goal is to carry minimum inventory while minimizing back orders and stock outs.
- Implement vendor strategies to support company’s growth.
- Proactively manage activities in line with company’s strategies and follow up with suppliers and internally to make improvements and deliver results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of purchasing, inventory, planning and distribution functions.
- Purchasing for direct to consumer, preferred.
- Lean, Kanban, JIT, VMI and continuous improvement experience is highly desired.
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to perform activities to support product development, administration, and quality.
- Posses good time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent with multitasking, follow-up and execution of assignments.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to embrace change and drive continuous improvement.
- Act in a collaborative manner.
Join the Eastwood Team and you’ll be joining a growing company with aggressive growth plans for the future.
A privately held company since 1978, The Eastwood Company develops, markets and distributes supplies, tools and equipment for the repair and restoration of automobiles and motorcycles direct-to-consumer. We design, develop and market unique products that our customers have come to rely on, enabling them to realize their automotive do-it-yourself dreams.
Eastwood offers opportunity and a compensation package that includes medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disabilities, 100% vested matching 401k plan, paid time off, incentive plan, employee assistance plan, employee discount and other voluntary benefits.