Eastwood Malibu Sunset 4:1 Basecoat Gallon
- 90-Day Returns
- Technical Support
- In Stock
Eastwood Malibu Sunset Orange Metallic Basecoat Paint adds the superior durability of urethane to the ease of conventional basecoats.
- Apply a durable urethane finish wherever you live in the continental US, even CA
- Choose a fast, medium or slow Low-VOC Activator
- Makes 5 sprayable quarts
- Clearcoat is required on basecoat paints
- Mixes 4:1 with your activator choice
- Approximate coverage: 160 SQ FT
- Flake/Pearl Particle size: 50-65 microns
- Max Temperature: Paint will handle up to 300 degrees without delamination, but color shift may occur, so it should not be used in a high heat setting
- Made in the USA
- There’s no hiding when your vehicle is painted with this brilliant high metallic orange. Rich pigments and extra coarse metal flake combine to make this one a super exciting color
Basecoat Paint Kit is a low-VOC system, so it meets regulatory limits in highly-regulated areas, eliminating the need to switch to a waterborne system.
BASECOAT PAINT MIXING RATIOS
Thoroughly mix four parts Low-VOC Urethane Basecoat with one part Low-VOC Urethane Activator. Use Fast (50308ZP) for small jobs, or temps below 75°F; Medium (50309ZP) for small jobs, or temps between 70-85°F; or Slow (50310ZP) for large jobs, or temps above 80°F. Keep in mind, other factors, such as humidity, air flow and total film thickness should also be considered. In many situations, it will be useful to add 10%-20% 50104ZP Zero-VOC Reducer to aid sprayabliity, flow and leveling. Remember, this is an activated basecoat system; only mix as much as is needed. Pot life is about 2 hours at 70°F.
PAINT GUN SET-UP
HVLP Gun: Fluid Tip 1.2-1.4 mm Inlet Spray Pressure 8-10 psi
Conventional Gravity: Fluid Tip 1.2-1.5 mm Inlet Spray Pressure 40-50 psi
Conventional Siphon: Fluid Tip: 1.3-1.6 mm Inlet Spray Pressure 40-50 psi
Apply Low-VOC Urethane Basecoat color in two full medium wet coats with a consistent 50% overlap pattern. Allow five to ten minutes flash time between coats. Flash time should increase if additional coats are applied. Most colors will cover in two coats. A third and final coat may be applied to set even metallic pattern. If required, apply this light coat immediately after the previous full wet coat, moving the gun with faster passes, from further away. Mist basecoat onto the wet film until the metallic pattern is uniform.
Basecoat should dry dust-free within 10-20 minutes. May be lightly sanded in as few as 20 minutes. Wait at least 30 minutes before wet sanding. Wait 45-90 minutes before taping on the fresh film. All dry times are approximate, at 70°. Temperature, air flow, total film thickness and other variable may extend these times.
Low-VOC Urethane Activator, 1 qt. (your choice of Fast, Medium or Slow)